Thursday 19 January 2012

Final Scaled Model






When it came to build the scale pavilion structure itself more thought and research was undertaken to find materials that would bend easily, my first idea was to use acrylic but in my research I encountered a method that uses Heated PVC pipes to create bends and uneven angles. Testing this material proved to be very easy as the pipes are readily found and after selecting the two sizes needed according to my scale which was 1:32 the exact angles were cut using the mitre saw. I focused on the finish mostly and the pipes were finished in water soluble sandpaper to create a dull flat finish and another advantage I had was that they were the exact colours I had in mind for my end pavilion hence they did not have to be sprayed. The cost of the PVC pipes was only 6.75 euros.

The biggest problem encountered was when I came to construct the surrounding border feature, In this case I used balsa wood that was steam bent to create the desired angle. Despite our lectures advice not to use super glue, I had to use it as the wood pieces would not simply stick to the pipes, the end result was not as clean as I wanted it but I was the only way that I could create this feature. To try and solve this problem the wood was coated which a matt clear varnish to try and remove to wood stains resulted by the super glue.

The final model was constructed along two weeks the first few days was working in conjunction with the other unit to create the landscaping plans and detailed drawings to ultimately come up with a suitable scale for the model. These three days were followed by a week of construction phase were all the necessary items were bought and cut into the desires angles and sizes according to the working plans created. The last few days were spent mounting the items together and finishing off the model to create the final model.

The final cost mounted to around 75 euros, in my opinion the end result was clean and nicely finished although items like landscaping and lighting could have been added to make the model more interesting. After my first review date my lecturer pointed out that a human scale would have been sufficient to add a more realistic scale value to the model hence the scaled person was added to the model.

No comments:

Post a Comment